LEONCILLO LEONARDI

Spoleto, 1915 - Rome 1968 ITALY

Finishing his studies at the Institute of Art of Perugia, he moved to Rome, where he attended the Academy of Fine Art and mixed with artists of the Roman School.
In 1935, Leoncillo met Libero De Libero, the director of the "La Cometa" art gallery and, between 1936 and 1938, Leoncillo accomplished his first work in ceramic, with a mythological subject, characterised by very intense colours.
In 1938, he moved to Umbertide and began to fire his works in the kilns of the "Rometti" manufactory.
In 1940, solicited by the architect GiĆ² Ponti, Leoncillo presented some of his work at the Triennale of Milan.
Between 1941 and the beginning of 1942, he began a very intense and fruitful working relation with the "Rometti" manufactory. He returned to Rome, where he obtained the chair of Ceramic Modelling and Decoration at the Royal and National Professional Institute, and then the State Institute of Art.
In 1942, he started a collaboration with the "Luca della Robbia" ceramic manufactory of Gualdo.
After the War, he exhibited at the Roman exhibition "Art against barbarity" winning first prize, with two versions of "Roman Mother Rome killed by the fascists".
In 1947, he joined the "Fronte Nuovo delle Arti" ['New Front of the Arts'] and exhibited at the Biennale of Venice in 1948.
In this period, he was given the studio with adjoining ceramics workshop, called "Ceramiche Leoncillo" in Rome.
In 1950, he was invited to exhibit some of his work at the 'Italian exhibition of Craft Work' at the Brooklyn Museum of New York.
In 1952, was, once again, at the Biennale of Venice with his own room and in 1954 he was awarded a prize at the 10th National Ceramics Competition of Faenza, competing with the bas-relief "The miners".
In the same year, he won the competition for the construction of the War Memorial organised by the Albisola Marina town Council, which was placed on the Artists' Esplanade in 1957.
From 1955, he was assigned many public commissions and accomplished, amongst other things, the "Veneto Partisan" for the Napoleonic Gardens of Venice.
In 1963, he won joint first prize for his sculpture Winter Encounter, in the International Ceramics Competition of Faenza, together with the Belgian ceramicist Rogier van De Weghe.
In 1968, he was given another personal room at the Biennale of Venice.
Leoncillo Leonardi died suddenly in Rome in 1968.