ARTURO MARTINI

Treviso, 1889 - Milan 1947 ITALY

Amongst the greatest of Italian sculptors in the 20th century, Arturo Martini was born in Treviso on 11 August 1889.
He first approached ceramics by starting work aged thirteen in a local factory.
His artistic training was gained between 1905 and 1912 in Treviso.
In 1909, he was at the Academy of Fine Art in Munich, a student of Adolf Hildebrand and, the next year, he returned to Italy, becoming a part of the School of Burano group, lead by the painter Gino Rossi.
In 1911, he was given his own room in the exhibition of Ca' Pesaro in Venice.
In 1912, he exhibited at the Palais d'Automne in Paris, alongside Modigliani and De Chirico.
In 1914, he was in Rome, at the Second Exhibition of the 'Roman Secession', amongst the so-called "rejected" exhibitors of the Biennale of Venice.
In 1919, he finished some decorative models at the manufactory of Calzi in Faenza, thereafter glazed by Pietro Melandri.
In the first half of the Twenties, having met the ceramicist Manlio Trucco, in 1926, he modelled a series of groups in ceramic for him, exhibited then in 1927 at the Galleria Pesaro of Milan and in 1932 in Venice.
In 1926, he presented some of his work at the Biennale of Venice and at the 1st 'Exhibition of Art of the 20th C'.
Between 1926 and 1927, he worked with the "Casa dell'Arte", accomplishing some sculptures which were then exhibited at the Galleria Pesaro of Milan and at the Biennale of Venice.
In 1931, he won first prize for sculpture at the Quadriennale d'Arte [Four-yearly Art show] of Rome and in 1932, he had a one-man show at the Biennale of Venice.
In 1933, he won the Bagutta Prize.
Arturo Martini’s ceramic production continued off and on until the mid nineteen-thirties.
In 1934, he worked with the painter Achille Funi on the decoration of the church of Cristo Re ['Christ the King'] in Piacenza and between 1934 and 1935, he accomplished two works, 'Athene' and 'Victory', for the University of Rome.
In 1936, together with some of the greatest artists of the time, he worked on the decoration of the Palace of Justice of Milan.
Between 1941 and 1942, he made five high-reliefs for Arengario of Milan.
Also in 1942, he was appointed to the professorship of Sculpture at the Academy of Fine Art of Venice. In the final years of his life, he gave his energies above all to painting.