GUERRINO TRAMONTI

Faenza - ITALY, 1915 - 1992

Guerrino Tramonti studied at the Royal School for Ceramics in Faenza under the guidance of Anselmo Bucci and Domenico Rambelli. He also attended the local Arts & Crafts School and the Ravenna Academy of Fine Arts. In 1931, at a very young age, he was awarded the Rimini Award for the Balilla sculpture. Arturo Marini noticed him. Still in Rimini, in 1931 and 1934, he won the first prize at the Rubicone competition. Martini’s regard for his works was consolidated and a season began of sculptures and bas-reliefs featuring commemorative themes. Also active as a painter, Tramonti began to work exclusively with ceramics and moved to Albisola where he attended the Casa dell’Arte for about one year. During the war, he went back to painting and moved to Venice. After Marini, he was definitively influenced by Filippo De Pisis. Once the war was over, he returned to Faenza and to working in ceramics. The ceramic works of Picasso and Gambone and the acquaintance with Leger in Vallauris, in 1952, found their echoes in pieces where the 20th century and metaphysical recallings are blended graphically with Legers’ Picassism and mechanicism. He was awarded the Premio Faenza in 1952, together with Antonio Scordia. He collaborated with painter Franco Gentilini whose influences are evident in the work Grande disco [Big disk] which earned him the second prize at the Premio Faenza in 1955. Typical of this period are the plates decorated with synthetic graphics, with vivid colours and coated with thick transparent glaze. He carried out management and educational activities in various Italian ceramic schools. At the end of the 1960s he definitively abandoned ceramics to return to painting.