GIÒ PONTI

Giovanni Ponti, known as ‘Giò’, was born in Milan on the 18th November 1891.
He graduated with a degree in architecture from the Polytechnic of Milan in 1921 and soon established himself both in the field of construction and interior design, decoration and industrial plans.
Honorary Fellow of applied arts as of 1923 and for the fifteen years to follow, he took on the artistic directorship of the prestigious ceramic manufactury of "Richard-Ginori" in Doccia as well as the Mondovì and San Cristoforo works, giving to their production a decisive stylistic renewal which would come to be defined as "Italian neoclassicism".
The first ceramics of Ponti’s to be put on show at national and international exhibitions immediately attested to the greatness of his work and in a short time brought him international fame.
The work he signed was entered for the "International Exhibition of Decorative Arts" in Paris in 1925, winning a "Grand Prix" and exciting great interest.
In 1928, he founded the architectural review "Domus".
Later on, he took part in the most important industrial art exhibitions, in all of the “Triennali” exhibitions of Milan, beginning with its very first in 1930, and in the “Biennali” of Decorative Arts in Monza; his work was present at exhibitions in The Hague, New York, London, Geneva, Brussels and Athens.
In 1946 he worked as a designer for the "Cooperativa Ceramica Imola" [The Imola Ceramics Cooperative’], a collaboration which took him right through the Fifties and the Sixties.