CERAMICHE LENCI

In 1919, Helen Konig and her husband, Enrico Scavini, founded a small workshop for the making of wooden toys and children’s furniture in Turin, at number 15 via Marco Polo.
After a few months of working, they began to make a series of felt dolls that soon gained great commercial success, so much so that the "Lenci" Company (a cypher that was itself the product of the diminutive form of Helen, ‘Elenchen’, given by her husband to the owner and ennobled as an acronym for "Ludus et Nobis Constanter Industria"), moved to premises at no. 7 via Cassini, taking on hundreds of workers and beginning to seek out the collaborative assistance of famous artists such as Sandro Vacchetti, who even took on the role of artistic director for production, as well as Gigi Chessa.
In 1925, the company entered its dolls in the “Exhibition of Decorative Arts” in Paris, where it won three Grand Prix, seven diplomas of merit, six gold medals and three silver medals.
Around 1928, perhaps influenced by the success of the Danish and Austrian female figurines in porcelain, "Lenci" decided to undertake a production line in ceramic and, in the same year, presented its first creations at the “International Exhibition” of Turin, immediately enjoying great success and earning the plaudits of Giò Ponti.
In the same year of 1928, the manufactory’s production ventured beyond national borders, with a show at the Callows Gallery in London.
In 1929, the "Lenci" ceramics were shown at the Galleria d'Arte Pesaro of Milan in a special exhibition given over to the company.
Between 1928 and 1931-32, production reached its highest stylistic and qualitative level with the accomplishment of models moulded by the artists and decorated under their very strictest control.