GIOVANNI GARIBOLDI

Milan, ITALY 1908-1971

Designer, sculptor and modelist, Giovanni Gariboldi was born in 1908.
Having obtained his diploma at the Artistic Lyceum at the Academy of Brera in Milan, he enrolled in the faculty of Architecture.
In 1926, he was taken on directly by Giò Ponti, at Richard-Ginori as apprentice modelist.
In 1933, he abandoned his university studies to dedicate himself entirely to ceramics and sculpture.
In the same year, the "Richard-Ginori" presented some of the artist’s creations at the 5th Triennale of Milan, works adorned with naturalistic motifs inspired by impressionism and accomplished at the Milan manufactory of "Ginori San Cristoforo; they were reviewed enthusiastically by Ponti himself in the architectural review "Domus".
In 1937, some ceramics and earthenware of Giovanni Gariboldi enjoyed great success at the Exhibition of Decorative Arts of Paris, where they were awarded the gold medal.
In 1946, he was appointed as artistic director for all the "Richard-Ginori" manufactories, a post that he held up to the day he died.
In the Fifties, he imposed his own rationalist view on production, a view which was founded on principles of modern industrial-design.
In 1954, his "colonna" ['column'] service won the Compasso d'oro ['Golden Compass'] prize and, in 1957, he was charged with coordinating the ceramic section of the 11th edition of the Triennale of Milan.
In 1967, he was awarded the gold medal at the 25th International Ceramics Competition of Faenza.
Giovanni Gariboldi died in Milan in 1971.